Monte Carlo – Opera
The Opéra de Monte-Carlo is an opera house, which is
part of the Monte Carlo Casino located in the Principality of Monaco.
With the lack of cultural diversions available in Monaco in the 1870s, Prince Charles III, along with the Société des Bains de Mer, decided to include a concert hall as part of the casino. The main public entrance to the hall was from the casino,
while Charles III’s private entrance was on the western side. It opened in 1879 and became known as the Salle Garnier, after the architect Charles Garnier, who designed it.
During the renovation of the Salle Garnier in 2004–05, the company presented operas at the Salle des Princes in the local, a modern conference and performance facility where Les Ballets de Monte Carlo and the Monte-Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra regularly perform.
- Submitted On :